
A man of 92 years, short, very well-presented, who takes great care in his appearance, is moving into an old people’s home today.
His wife of 70 has recently died, and he is obliged to leave his home.
After waiting several hours in the retirement home lobby, he gently smiles as he is told that his room is ready.
As he slowly walks to the elevator, using his cane, I describe his small room to him, including the sheet hung at the window which serves as a curtain.
“I like it very much”, he says, with the enthusiasm of an 8 year old boy who has just been given a new puppy.
“Sir, you haven’t even seen the room yet, hang on a moment, we are almost there.”
“That has nothing to do with it”, he replies.
“Happiness is something I choose in advance. Whether or not I like the room does not depend on the furniture, or the decor – rather it depends on how I decide to see it.”
“It is already decided in my mind that I like my room. It is a decision I take every morning when I wake up.”
“I can choose. I can spend my day in bed enumerating all the difficulties that I have with the parts of my body that no longer work very well or I can get up and give thanks to heaven for those parts that are still in working order.”
“Every day is a gift, and as long as I can open my eyes, I will focus on the new day, and all the happy memories that I have built up during my life.”
“Old age is like a bank account. You withdraw in later life what you have deposited along the way.”
So, my advice to you is to deposit all the happiness you can in your bank account of memories.
Thank you for your part in filling my account with happy memories, which I am still continuing to fill...
Remember these simple guidelines for happiness.
1. Free your heart from hate.
2. Free your mind from worry.
3. Live simple.
4. Give more.
5. Expect less.

IN MEMORY OF MY FATHER-IN-LAW WHO RECENTLY PASSED AWAY ON AUGUST 4th. 2010...GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!
“ To Allah we belong, and to Him is our return” (Al-Baqarah - 2:156)



7 comments:
Al-Fatihah
Semoga Ayah mertua CT berada di bawah perlindungan dan Rahmat Allah jua.
Satu cerita yg terkesan di hati abang. Terima kasih kerana sudi berkongsi.Dan selamat berpuasa.
my heartfelt condolences sis.
Happiness is a state of mind, a choice we make. It's difficult sometimes when one is beset with all sorts of problems but if we try hard to make this our attitude whatever comes our way, life indeed may be much happier.
Hello sis, hope you are fine. Dropped by to give you my love and big hugs.
Salam bang,
CT turut sama mengaminkan do'a abang. Terima kasih & selamat menyambut Syawal yang bakal tiba...ma'af zahir batin.
Hello sis...you are wise too & I agree with you. Thanks for the long - distance phone call sis...THANKS for everything...hugssss
Hello sis, here dropping by to ask how you are now. Hope you are fast recovering from the flu. Have a peaceful weekend. Sending you all my love. Take care always. My good wishes for you on this solemn month of the Ramadan.
Hello sis, I'm ok now but there are sooooo many things to do...Hari Raya is coming soon. Thanks for the wishes...my love and big hugs for you:)
Post a Comment