January 20, 2009

THOSE BORN 1930 – 1970!
















This story takes me for the trips down memory lane...it fits some of my experience even though my mom don’t smoke or drink. We use to catch fish at the longkang and playing in the rain but we don’t get sick so easily. Kids nowadays are missing so much fun…Aaah, those good old days!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70’s!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking...

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster
seats, seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank Kool-aid made with sugar, but we were not overweight because, WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Play stations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computers! no Internet or chat rooms...

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or
rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them...CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how
brave (and lucky) their parents were.

The quote of the month is by Jay Leno:

"With hurricanes, tornadoes, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Very interesting post! I belong to that generation:) That's true, we didn't have much of the modern-day trappings, we had simple joys, needs and wants but it was a beautiful life. Nice to bring back memories.
Thanks sis, hope you have a great week! Hugsss...

CT said...

Life was so simple back then...I miss those days sis! Hope your weekend will be great too...I'm going back to my kampung this weekend:)Pray for me that I'll have a safe trip will you sis? Hugss...

Mahmud Yussop said...

Thanks for dropping by. Well, join the club. Those were fun days which I will always treasure because we were down to earth kids. I todays's world of 'akademi fantasia'the younger generation are being dictated when to laugh,play, cry, sing, enter and exit the stage( of life?).They make good commercial sense but a load of nonsense.BTW, 'In My Life' is one of my favs too and have you tried to sing it the Jose Feliciano way? I do.Salam.

CT said...

Salam,
Thanks for the comments bro! I’m glad that you like the song too...I can’t sing laa...my voice like the frog hehehe...wish I could hear you sing:)

Unknown said...

Good morning sis, here to give you a hug and my love! Actually sis, I don't know what kampung means but whatever it is, I do hope and pray you'll have a safe trip. Love and hugssssssssss...

CT said...

Hi sis...
Good morning to you too:)
Kampung is a village. Uuwi ako sana nayon:) Thanks sis for your prayer...remember that I love you!

Mahmud Yussop said...

Hi,again. You'll get to hear me sing, though not too soon.I'm planning to produce a CD album of all my favourite songs which I'll launch during the 2nd solo exhibition planned in October this year at Kuching. Alternatively I'll prepare them in MP3 format, in which case you may be able to hear it sooner. Well,keep me excited about it and I'll think of other ways. Presently I'm working with a musician friend to do a minus one of the selected songs. I'm a great fan of the Bee Gees and their songs will also be featured..Words,Holiday,Lonely Days,etc.

CT said...

Hey that’s great! Lucky I felt like checking my mail before leaving tonight or I wouldn’t know the good news soon:) I’m happy for you! Lonely Days is one of my fav too, sooooo much memories*wink
I like I Started A Joke & To Love Somebody by Bee Gees...will you sing Angela by Jose too...will you? Please!

Unknown said...

Hello sis, just stopping by to visit you and give you my love. Have a great week! Love you...hugsss...

Mahmud Yussop said...

Yesss, all of the above and more.Have a nice day.

CT said...

Hi Nini...You are so sweet:)
I just came back last night sis...hope you'll have a nice weekend! Hugssss

CT said...

Salam Mr. Mahmud,
Thanks bro...hope you'll have a nice weekend:))