January 1, 2010

WHO PACK YOUR PARACHUTES?





















I am posting this article as my way of thanking you for your part in packing my parachute and to let you know that you are still remembered, you are still important, you are still loved, and you are still cared for and that you've been thought of today…once again THANK YOU & HAPPY NEW YEAR!




Charles Plumb was a US Navy jet pilot in Vietnam.
After 75 combat missions, his plane was destroyed by a surface-to-air missile. Plumb ejected and parachuted into enemy hands. He was captured and spent 6 years in a communist Vietnamese prison. He survived the ordeal and now lectures on lessons learned from that experience!

One day, when Plumb and his wife were sitting in a restaurant, a man at another table came up and said, “You’re Plumb! You flew jet fighters in Vietnam from the aircraft carrier Kitty Hawk. You were shot down!”

“How in the world did you know that?” Asked Plumb.
“I packed your parachute,” The man replied.
Plumb gasped in surprise and gratitude
The man pumped his hand and said, “I guess it worked!”
Plumb assured him, “It sure did. If your chute hadn’t worked,
I wouldn’t be here today.”

Plumb couldn’t sleep that night, thinking about that man.

Plumb says, “I kept wondering what he had looked like in a Navy uniform:
a white hat; a bib in the back; and bell-bottom trousers. I wonder how many times I might have seen him and not even said ‘Good morning, how are you?’ or anything because, you see, I was a fighter pilot and he was just a sailor.”

Plumb thought of the many hours the sailor had spent at a long wooden table in the bowels of the ship, carefully weaving the shrouds and folding the silks of each chute, holding in his hands each time the fate of someone he didn’t know.

Now, Plumb asks his audience,
“Who’s packing your parachute?”
Everyone has someone who provides what they need to make it through the day. He also points out that he needed many kinds of parachutes when his plane was shot down over enemy territory - he needed his physical parachute, his mental parachute, his emotional parachute, and his spiritual parachute. He called on all these supports before reaching safety.
Sometimes in the daily challenges that life gives us, we miss what is really important.

We may fail to say hello, please, or thank you, congratulate someone on something wonderful that has happened to them, give a compliment, or just do something nice for no reason. As you go through this week, this month, this year, recognize people who pack your parachutes.

6 comments:

Penabahari said...

Salam CT and a very happy new yearto U. What a thoughtful entry you put up. Perkara yg begitu penting namun dengan mudah kita lupakan.Kita seharusnya memikirkan betapa penting setiap tanggungjawab dan tugas yg dimainkan oleh teman dan taulan untuk kemaslahatan kita bersama.

CT said...

Salam & A Very Happy New Year To You Too Bro. Just In Case I Forget To Tell You Before...Thanks For Being A Friend & A Brother To Me!

Unknown said...

Hello, I'm sorry sis if I made you feel bad. I haven't forgotten you. It was year end so I had to work on some reports for the office, then my birthday...even my blogs are few and far between, if you have noticed.

No one can take your place in my heart, honest. You, Ivonne and Maya are way above the rest. You are my true heart sisters. I love you very much. Smile na for me. Hugsss...

CT said...

Hello sis,

I'm glad you came...I miss you so much:(
Now I'm busy too with some minor renovation for my home in JB...always came back late in the morning...so tired!
You make my cry sis but with tears of happiness...I love you too...so much...you know that! Hugsss

Unknown said...

Love you always! Don't work too hard.

CT said...

Love you too...can't help it sis:-(